Mexican Butterfly Flower | Asclepias curassavica
Mexican Butterfly Flower is a beautiful addition to the water garden. Also known as Butterfly Blood Flower. Red orange flowers appear early summer and continue blooming until October. Hummingbirds and butterflies are attracted to the flowers. Grows 18-30" tall. Monarch butterflies will lay eggs on this plant as the caterpillars feed on the leaves as a main food source. Will thrive in any garden if kept well watered. Tropical Butterfly Flower is:
- Popular host plant for monarch eggs
- Popular nectar plant for butterflies…especially around the fall migration!
- Leaves and flowers support monarchs
- No taproot so it will not be invasive underground
- Will often re-seed in regions that freeze during winter
- One of the most attractive milkweed varieties
- Grows backs quickly after being devoured
NOT AVAILABLE TO SHIP TO CALIFORNIA - Will be substituted with Hardy Pink Butterfly Flower
Mexican Butterfly Flower (Asclepias curassavica)
Light Requirements: Full sun to part shade
Height: 2'-3' - Spread: 1'-2'
Water Depth: Moist soil
Hardiness Zone: 9-12